If you have been involved in an accident, then the next step after settling your medical expenses is to find a personal injury lawyer. Finding a lawyer is not difficult but getting your hands on a credible and reputable one is.
Why Hire Personal Injury Lawyers?
Personal injury lawyers know about the personal injury laws of the state. They can help you deal with the insurance companies on your behalf. They can even do the initial consultation for you and help gauge the extent of the damage and compensation.
If the accident has taken place in Austin, then there are many reputable law firms such as DC Law that have dedicated and experienced personal injury lawyers to handle your case. You can contact them for free consultation and have all your questions answered promptly and diligently.
Filing a lawsuit comes with a lot of complication and paperwork. You will not be able to handle all the paperwork on your own. A personal injury lawyer will have a fair understanding of all this paperwork and can help you file your complaint.
Important Questions to Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer
When you go visit your personal injury lawyer, you need to go prepared. Below is a list of questions that you can ask to get a better understanding on what type of lawyer you are dealing with:
- How long has the attorney been handling personal injury cases?
- Do they have any referrals?
- Will the case be handled directly by the firm or handed to junior attorneys?
- What is the time duration for handling a personal injury case?
- Are they certified or member of any legal organizations?
- Will they be clear transparency on the updates about the case with the client?
- What are their success rates in winning a personal injury case?
- Will your case go for a trial?
- Are they any loopholes in your case?
- How do they plan to deal with such issues?
- If both parties do not reach an agreement, will the attorney take it to trial?
- How many cases does the attorney take in a day?
- Do they have the necessary financial resources to take on your case?
Gauge the reaction of the attorney when they answer your questions. A reputable personal injury attorney will ensure that you are comfortable while discussing your case with them.
Be Transparent with Costs
Many of us generally tend to hesitate when it comes to discussing the cost factor with the attorney. You need to be transparent with such things. Ensure that you ask the lawyer about their fees as well as other charges such as their contingency percentage.
You might even want to discuss about the expenses if the case is lost. Many law firms may not ask you to reimburse the additional expenses, while others might ask for reimbursement. You need to check out the different reimbursement policies of the firm before hiring their services.
Conclusion You need to be the best judge when it comes to hiring a personal injury lawyer. Ensure that you meet the lawyer in person, rather than relying on advertisements or reviews from other clients.